Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Renaissance Hairstyles Fit For a Princess at Braids for Maids




As a busy woman, I find myself desiring at times to feel like a beauteous princess.  Recently, I had the pleasure of going to the Renaissance Faire in Irwindale, California. The faire will continue until May 17, 2015. My original plan for my hair was to wear my hair down with a partial braid in the back.  I also strung a few wild flowers into a wreath to wear on my head but as you can see from the photograph below it was a lack luster look.
  

After cramming into a bodice and getting my mo chèile and wee poppet out the door, after taking care of some of my merchant duties, I was in need of the magical pampering that could only be experienced from the lovely, braiding and singing maidens at the pleasure faire. 

When we passed by the Braids for Maids booth I stopped and stood in front of the braid menu.  I quickly decided that this was the experience I wanted. Out of all the fine things that could be had at the faire a braid at Braids for Maids was what I desired most. There were many pleasing braids to choose from like the adorable Perdita that is a number of braids, woven with ribbon to form two lovely buns in the back of the head or the delightful Phoebe that consists of two laurel braids, woven with ribbon that loop in the back. I chose the Phoebe as you can see in the photograph below. 

 
Verily I felt as if I were a princess as I sat on a cushioned bench under a canopy having a singing maiden braid my hair.  While the fair maidens braided they sang amusing Renaissance songs like “Maids When You’re Young”. In this ballad young women are advised not to marry much older men.  While the maidens braid your hair they spray lovely smelling detangler and place tiny silk roses in your hair to adorn your braids. At the very end each maid is paraded in front of a large mirror and announced as a most beauteous maid. 

The fine ladies at Braids for Maids will have you saying gramercy after having your locks braided and adorned by them.  If you too would like to feel like a princess or beauteous maid you can visit them at the Renaissance Faire in Irwindale until May 24 or you can contact them to set up an appointment at braidsformaids.com. Unless your feeling adventurous and want to try creating your own braids you could start by Her Dancing Fingers: The Art of Renaissance Hairbraiding


No comments:

Post a Comment